Most graduates are faced with the problem of deciding on what to specialise on, while others are not aware of the specialisations available in IT, this causes a problem of graduates making the wrong choices. The ITCAT ™ solves this problem by providing individuals with relevant information to help them focus on the right specialisation.
What is WIL LAB ™
The WIL LAB ™ Programme is a product and a registered trademark of The Institute of Chartered IT Professionals ® (ICITP) whose aim is providing the necessary resources and practical experience to create work-ready graduates, who meet the general standards of the industry. The program has been designed in such a way that candidates choose their area of specialization in Information Technology. The following are the areas of specialization available for students: IT Technical Support, Networking, Web Development, Software Development.
The WIL LAB ™ Programme is project based and workplace learning. What distinguishes WIL LAB ™ is the emphasis on the integrative aspects of such learning. WIL LAB ™ could thus be described as an educational approach that aligns and workplace practices for the mutual benefit of students and workplaces.
Benefits of ICITP Student Memberbrship
- An extensive range of work integrated learning and educational resources
- Access to WIL LAB ™ programs.
- Substantial discounts on products and services from our partner organizations
- Association with the highest ranked professional body in Information Technology
- Advances your Information Technology profession
- Show that you have done an IPD (Initial professional development)
- Differentiates you from a normal Information Technology Student
- Shows you are committed to your Information Technology profession
- Being a member is part of your credentials
- Provide employable students
- Meet industry needs
- Strengthen links with industry
- Increase enrolment in IT qualifications
To gain the most benefit students should:
- Be aware that academic prowess alone is insufficient for a successful career in Information Technology. You need to be practically competent.
- Accept your role as a participant in a learning process and take responsibility for your learning whilst undertaking WIL LAB ™
- Make an active contribution to the organization providing WIL
- Aim to develop a portfolio of work experiences and
- Be pro-active in arrangements to ensure the quality of the work experience.
Benefits of WIL LAB ™ to students
- They acquire skills that will render them more employable.
- They will be able to complete their studies.
- They will be able to bridge the gap between studying and working by putting into practice what they have learned at College
- Becoming a specialist in your chosen area of specialization in Information Technology
- Secure fast employment
- Working in a LAB setting in which to put theory into practice
- Developing an awareness of workplace culture and expectations
- Developing ‘soft’ skills such as communication, team working, email and report-writing skills, punctuality and attendance, leadership and career development;
- Having an opportunity to develop a practical appreciation of your chosen profession
- Developing practical skills to reflect upon in future studies;
- Developing an appreciation of the fluidity of a rapidly changing world of work;
- Short-term financial benefits – some students are able to earn whilst studying through skills acquired in the WIL LAB ™ Academic.
- Developing enhanced employment prospects and the potential of commanding higher wages on graduation
- Obtaining practical assistance in developing career strategies and • Developing an awareness of business opportunities and building up a network of contacts.